KABUL: Atleast six persons were killed on Wednesday, after a suicide bomber detonated himself in a targeted attack on the Pakistani consulate in Afghanistan’s eastern city of Jalalabad.
The Pakistan consulate in the Afghan city was sealed off following the suicide attack and all staff has been evacuated from the building.
“The officials of the Consulate General are safe. Only one official was slightly injured by a broken glass,” said the Foreign Office.
Afghan media reports had earlier suggested a Pakistani employee was among the dead.
An Afghan official said the bomber had tried to join a queue of people seeking visas to Pakistan and blew himself up after being prevented from entering the building.
There have been several bomb blasts in Afghanistan over recent weeks at a time when efforts are underway to restart a peace process with the Taliban and ease diplomatic tension between Pakistan and India.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Foreign Office strongly condemned the terrorist attack and requested a comprehensive investigation into the incident.
“We strongly condemn the terrorist attack on the Consulate General of Pakistan in Jalalabad, this morning,” the statement said. “The Government of Afghanistan has been requested to thoroughly investigate this incident and bring the culprits to book. We have requested that details of the investigation should be shared with us.”
The Government of Afghanistan has also been requested to ensure safety and security of Pakistan Missions in Afghanistan and our officials working there, the statement added.