- 2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg or allspice
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup non dairy butter (I used SmartBalance dairy free with olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup non dairy butter (I used SmartBalance dairy free with olive oil)
1 1/2 cups almond milk
2 cup packed brown sugar (preferably light)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 16-inch by 9 inch rectangular baking dish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Boil water in a small cooking pot. Turn heat off and add the chopped dates and baking soda; set aside.
- In a mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat until blended. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Add the date mixture to the batter and mix until you get a uniform batter. Batter will be slightly runny. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until cake is set and firm on top, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven to a wire rack.
For the Caramel/Toffee Sauce:
Combine the butter, almond milk and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil gently over medium low heat until mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes. Pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce over the cake. Spread evenly on top. Reserve remaining sauce to drizzle over cake while serving.
Pour warm sauce over cake! Top with dairy free ice cream! Yum!
This article is originally appeared here.