Casualities feared after 22 buildings collapsed in China landslides

BEIJING (Web Desk): Some 22 buildings have collapsed in a landslide at an industrial park in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, state media reported on Sunday.

About 900 people have been evacuated, with four people pulled alive from rubble with minor or no injuries, the local government said. No fatalities have been reported.

Shenzhen’s fire brigade said it was working to free other trapped people. At least 22 remain missing.

Two workers’ dormitories are among the affected buildings.

Li Yikang, the deputy secretary general of the Shenzhen city government, said in a televised news conference that 17 men and five women were missing.

An area of 20,000 sq m (24,000 square yards) was covered with soil, the Public Security Bureau’s firefighting bureau said.

Ren Jiguang, the deputy chief of Shenzhen’s public security bureau, told state broadcaster CCTV that most people had been moved to safety before the landslide hit.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s