Bystander’s defiant reaction to Tube terrorist’s knife attack becomes online hit as #YouAintNoMuslimBruv sweeps the internet

2F18D51500000578-3347632-image-a-1_1449359984079The defiant words shouted by an East Londoner at the knifeman involved in the terror attack at Leytonstone tube station last night have become an internet sensation.

‘You ain’t no Muslim bruv’ hashtag has swept through social media, described as the ‘perfect’ London response to the atrocity.

During footage recorded of the standoff between the knifeman and police, the witness can be heard repeatedly yelling: ‘You ain’t no Muslim bruv!’

One social media user wrote: ‘You ain’t no Muslim, bruv’. I will stand by THAT Muslim anytime.’

Another supporter said: ‘#YouaintnoMuslinbruv, London cannot be broken. Sums up our unity perfectly.’

One user called Muthla wrote: ‘Best # trend I’ve seen- #YouAintNoMuslimBruv regarding horrific attack in Leytonstone. Gotta love London for the £ trend!’

Another called Jackie Nn wrote: ‘#youaintnomuslimbruv- soo proud to be a Londoner. True Muslims don’t try and kill innocent bystanders. Peace to true Muslims.’

Chris Lowndes wrote: ‘#YouAintNoMuslimBruv is just perfect – real, inclusive, undermines terrorist cause.’

After reportedly slashing the primary victim’s throat, the man allegedly threatened several other passengers before being confronted by a number of unarmed police officers.

Today the man, aged 56, was in hospital in a stable condition.

The officers ordered the man to drop his weapon, who continued to wave the large knife. One video shows the man lunge towards the police, with witnesses shouting ‘he’s stabbed someone’.

One of the officers then shouted ‘Taser, Taser, Taser’ before discharging the weapon. It is understood the man needed several bolts of electricity before he collapsed to the ground.

The stabbing was the first jihadi attack in London since the murder of soldier Lee Rigby in May 2013 and has now been handed over to the Metropolitan Police’s Counter Terrorism Command.

The victim, 56-year-old man, suffered serious, non life-threatening knife wounds while two others were injured.

Head of Scotland Yard’s Counter Terrorism unit, Commander Richard Walton said; ‘We are treating this as a terrorist incident. I would urge the public to remain calm, but alert and vigilant.

‘I would like to thank everyone who has so far provided information to officers and to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline following this unprovoked violent knife attack last evening at Leytonstone Underground Station.

‘As a result of information received at the time from people who were at the scene and subsequent investigations carried out by the Counter Terrorism Command (SO15), I am treating this as a terrorist incident.

‘I am aware that there were a number of members of the public in the underground station who filmed the suspect on their mobile phones during and after the attack and I would urge them to come forward and speak to us and share with us the filming that they carried out.

‘I would continue to urge the public to remain calm, but alert and vigilant. The threat from terrorism remains at severe, which means that a terrorist attack is highly likely.’

Officers also requested that anyone who filmed the incident on their phones upload their footage to

A Number 10 spokesperson said: ‘There is an ongoing police investigation into tonight’s attack in London. We are monitoring the situation closely as further details emerge.’

Following the attack, Transport for London ceased all services between Liverpool Street and Woodford / Newbury Park while the scene was examined.

There were conflicting reports over where the man had been injured. Some witnesses claimed the victim had been slashed in the throat, while one video showed a man with an apparent arm injury.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: ‘The stabbing in Leytonstone is absolutely shocking. My thoughts are with the victim and his family.’

According to an eyewitness, the victim, seen carrying a guitar, was stabbed after being punched unconscious and repeatedly kicked in the frenzied attack.

Salim Patel, 59, was working in a newsagents in the station when he saw the attack unfold.

The father-of-six believed the attacker was Somalian or Sudanese and shouting with an ‘Arabic accent’ to all passers-by.

He said: ‘I was inside the shop and I heard screaming and shouting. He was hitting and punching the victim so hard he fell on the floor and then he kicked him for a long time.

‘Everyone was shouting and screaming and he was punching the victim so hard he was screaming somebody help me. Then he got punched so hard he passed out.

‘He then took his knife out and was using it on the victim’s body. His knife was going forward and backwards. But I don’t know in what part of the body he hit.

‘It was very scary, passengers ran away. After a while he came back and a few minutes later a passenger rushed to help the victim but when he came back they ran away.

‘I think the victim was a musician or a busker. He was carrying a guitar.’

Salim called the police when he saw the blade and hid behind the counter so he could give instructions.

He added: ‘The attacker was Somalian or Sudanese and talking in an Arabian accent. He was a strong man. He was punching like a boxer. He was a very powerful strong man. He was angry for some reason.’

The stabbing was the first jihadi attack in London since the murder of soldier Lee Rigby in May 2013.

Michael Garcia told ITV News: ‘I look over and i see a guy huddled on the floor behind the barriers and the guy brandishing the knife.

‘It was a small blade maybe about three inches long. And then he’s screaming ‘go on then, run, run’ and there’s people like wanting to go forward to try and help the guy, but the guy’s standing just right next to him, just brandishing the knife.’

Detective Superintendent Jacqueline Sebire, from Waltham Forest police, said: ‘This incident highlights the risks taken by our officers on a daily basis. When they are called to incidents such as these, they enter, not knowing what awaits them.

‘I would like to take this opportunity to praise not only their bravery in confronting the man who was in possession of a knife, but also their quick response in providing first aid to the victim whilst offering reassurance to the many members of the public who were travelling through the underground.

‘We will continue to provide a visible presence in the area if anyone wishes to ask for advice about personal safety. We also remain in contact with community groups and local partners.’

The stabbing comes at time of great tension in Europe following the Paris terror attacks last month.

The coordinated attack on the French capital, in which 130 were killed, as well as the launch of British airstrikes on ISIS locations in Syria, sparked fears that terror groups could launch lone wolf attacks on Europe.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s